Sunday, March 13, 2011

Le Menu (March 13-19)

I think I figured out a way to post the menu without so many formatting issues.  :o)

You'll see that today's meal is recycled from last week, but that's because the contractor stayed late that day and we ended up having a gourmet meal of Little Caesar's pizza on a blanket on the floor.  That's OK.  I'm flexible like that.  ;o)


I will go out on a limb and say that today's meal was one of the best we've had in a while.  Curtis barbecued the pork and getting the grill involved always makes for a good meal.  If I do it again, I will make the marinade a little hotter, but the pork was very, very good.  The veggies were just divine, especially with jasmine rice.  I didn't post a recipe since I knew I would wing it, but I stir-fried chopped bok choy and red, yellow, and orange bell peppers in hot sesame oil, along with some garlic, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and toasted sesame seeds.  SO good.  

Most of the rest of the week's dishes are pretty basic since I'm anticipating limited kitchen access again.  I normally use tilapia or cod for the fish tacos, but this week they are being prepared à la Del Taco with battered fish fillets.  I use corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, fish, diced tomatoes, and a little shredded colby-jack, along with my very special sauce - 1/2 cup of light mayo, the juice of 3 limes, and 2 teaspoons or so of chili powder.  We use it sparingly, but this is enough for 12 tacos or so.  Obviously, I double it.  ;o)  

The meatballs are coming straight out of the WalMart freezer section.  When I can't make my own, I dump the frozen ones in the crock pot with a jar or two of pasta sauce and cook on low for 6 hours or so.  Then we toast buttered steak rolls in the oven, top each with a slice of provolone or mozzarella, and spoon on the meatballs and sauce.  Easy.  

As for the chili and cornbread, you may recall it was on last week's menu too, but this is different chili and cornbread.  Hubby's favorite chili, in fact.  I think it's good, but I have to add a lot of Tabasco.  ;o)  The big reason I love it is that I can have a huge bowl and it's only about 250 calories.  The recipe follows.

And finally, a recipe for Ethiopian chicken t'ibs, as well as info about where to find Ethiopian staples will also follow.  Just click the link below.  

WEDNESDAY - DEBBIE'S CROCK POT CHILI

Serves 4-6 (generous bowls - I only double this for our family of 14)

Ingredients

    Seasoning Mix (you do NOT use all of this in one recipe)

  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 tablespoon minced onions
  • 1 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans

Directions

  1. Mix together seasoning mix.
  2. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
  3. In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink.
  4. Drain.
  5. Add onion and 3 tsp of seasoning mix. (I double the amount called for.  Trust me.)
  6. In Crock-Pot, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, one can of beans and two more teaspoons of seasoning mix.
  7. Place the other can of beans in a blender and process until smooth.
  8. Add beans and meat to the crock pot.
  9. Stir together.
  10. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
THURSDAY - DORO T'IBS (Chicken stew)

Serves 8 

Ingredients
  • cup niter kibe (spiced clarified butter) or vegetable oil
  • 2 medium Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
  • 4 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
  • 8 teaspoons berbere or mitmita (you can substitute cayenne pepper)
  • 4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 2 fresh tomato, diced, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional, to reduce the spiciness)
  • 2 pounds chicken breast, cubed
  • leaves of 2 stems of rosemary
  • Salt to taste
Directions
  1. In a skillet over low heat, combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin and cardamom, and cook, stirring, for 30 minutes.  
  2. If you have a low tolerance for spice, add tomato. Then add the chicken and rosemary and cook about 10 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Finally, add salt to taste. Serve over rice, or more traditionally, over injera (Ethiopian sourdough flatbread).
You can order niter kibe (or the spices for making your own), berbere, mitmita, and injera, as well as lots of other Ethiopian staples (spices, lentils, coffee, teff flour, etc.), from the websites below:

Zelalem Injera (injera only)
Injera.com (injera only, and I believe you now have to call to order)

Ethiopian Spices and Brundo both have some great recipes on their website, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment