Friday, February 4, 2011

Soffit solutions

When our contractor ripped out the ceiling, he discovered that there were some hot water radiator pipes that might not be able to be moved as he planned.  As it so happens, they make their appearance right over our kitchen sink, angle down over to the right wall, enter the wall cavity, and then poke out again in base cabinet territory.  We knew we could alter the base cabinet (which was just going to be a trash pull-out, anyway) to fit around the pipes, but he suggested we might need to enclose them in a soffit above the windows in order to hide them.  

You can see the painted pipes extending out behind the light fixture and extending over to the right wall

For literally years now, I have dreamed of reclaiming my high ceilings and having cabinets soar to the top.  Call me spoiled, call me overly dramatic, but I have waited a very, very, very long time for my dream kitchen, and the thought of inserting an ugly, boxy soffit into this vision was almost painful.

I agonized, mulled, pondered, sketched.  And then one night - bing!  An arch.  A soffit-that's-not-a-soffit.



A thing of beauty amidst chaos.  Our contractor deserves an award.

Close-up of the offending pipeage

The "George" fixture from Rejuvenation that will hang over the sink
Et voilĂ !  Lemonade from lemons!   

No comments:

Post a Comment