Sunday, November 13, 2011

Le menu (13-19 November)



This week's menu was largely driven by my Bountiful Baskets produce.   The soup I whipped up today was SO yummy, so if for no other reason than to preserve the recipe before my brain can forget, I am posting it here.  

Winter Veggie Soup

Ingredients:

1 pound potatoes (skins on), cleaned and cut into 1/3" pieces (I used fingerlings)
6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4"
2 leeks, white and pale green parts, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/2" dices
1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed, and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1-2 tsp salt, to taste
2 tsp white pepper
1 pint soy creamer (not vanilla flavored!)
2 cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:
Bring chicken stock to a boil and add potatoes and carrots.  Continue on a low boil until veggies are just tender.  Add all remaining ingredients except creamer and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.  Just before serving, stir in the creamer.  

You could add in some soy sausage crumbles or slices, but my sausage was frozen and I didn't even remember I had it until it was too late.  In any case, this was a hearty, yummy bowl of comfort!  

The other recipes for this week can be found below, but note that some require some veganization.  My big challenge for the week involves making something resembling chicken Cordon Bleu for Hubby and me, as well as a gluten-free, vegan apple cake, for a church dinner party we're attending on Saturday.  The "chicken" is so we'll have something to eat that looks vaguely like what others will be eating, and the apple cake is a copy of the dessert that is being served that we and the gluten-sensitive members of our congregation will be able to eat.  Wish me luck!

Monday
Barley, Mushroom and Lentil Soup  Veggie broth will sub for beef.  Easy-peasy.  

Tuesday
Hoppin' John  I'll be making as-is, save for the substitutions of tempeh bacon and veggie broth
Collard Greens Vegan butter and we're good to go!   
Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread  We made this in our pre-vegan days, and it's to-die-for.  This is my friend Bethany's recipe, and you can see that it's extremely highly rated.  I hope my vegan version will be in the ballpark!  I plan to make vegan buttermilk (1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup nondairy milk) and use golden flax meal in place of the eggs.  

Wednesday
Gyro "meat" with tzatziki sauce I'm subbing seitan for the lamb, and I'm sorry, but the more I think about it, what kind of a jerk eats lamb?  Or veal?  They're babies!!!  (OK, so that's something I didn't put together in my omnivore days, so I know I have to cut others some slack, but still.  Watch some videos. It's horrifying.)   
Greek Style Spinach and Rice  This one will get a feta makeover; lemon-marinated, crumbled firm tofu works well.  Or I may just leave it out.  We'll see.  

Thursday
Eggplant "parmesan"  This one's already vegan, but that's the least of my worries.  You see, I loathe eggplant.  It's vile.  But Hubby loves it and I'm determined to find a way I can stand it.  Since breading and frying anything makes it 100 times tastier, I figure this is a good place to start.  I may need some diving nose clips to get through it, but I'll give it my best.  

Friday - Hubby is cooking, so it's a mystery.  Frankly, it's even a mystery to him until it's finished.  His stir-fries are a good way to clean out the fridge.  ;o)  

Saturday - My friend is sending me her apple cake recipe, which I will de-gluten and veganize.  My loose plan for chicken Cordon Bleu is to use Gardein Chick'n Scallopini cutlets, stuff them somehow with vegan bacon (I can't get any closer to ham on such short notice) and vegan cheese, bread them, bake them, and then douse them in a soy cream/white wine/paprika sauce.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment